Hastings Area Business Crime Reduction Partnership
Over 150 shops and licensed premises are members of the partnership, along with representatives from the police, the council, and the Business Improvement District (Love Hastings).
Working together through Businesswatch (which incorporates the Shopwatch and Barwatch schemes) is the best way to deter local repeat offenders from the area. Once they know we are watching them and taking action, they will stay away.
For more information on scheme benefits read our application form here.
We believe that working together is the best way to deter local repeat offenders from the area.
Once they know we are watching them and taking action, they will stay away.
We aim to give businesses the tools, the support, and the training they need to deter known offenders from in and around their premises.
We provide a collective voice when talking to the Police and the Council to secure an appropriate response to crime and anti-social behaviour affecting our members’ businesses.
Our over-arching objective is to reduce levels of crime in the area to improve the ability of members to trade safely and profitably.
Membership for 2019/20 is just £10 per month (that’s only £0.33 per day).
For members of the Business Improvement District this fee is included in the levy payments meaning that all 500 businesses in the town centre can sign up at no additional cost.
Fees are billed annually in April (although part payments can be arranged if required) and in return for membership you get all of the following:
- The BCRP radio network links members with the each other and is monitored day and night by the council’s CCTV control room for a rapid response to problems.
- Regular intelligence meetings are held to discuss current cases and share information on offenders.
- Reductions in losses of stock and increased numbers of customers due to the reduced fear of crime in the area.
- A safer environment in the night-time economy with individuals known to cause problems excluded or on watch lists.
- A powerful online database (accessible via both a website and a smartphone app) stores data on hundreds of known offenders. It gives easy access to images and details of who is excluded or has a Criminal Behaviour Order and keeps members up-to-date with all the latest news about anti-crime initiatives.
- Members have access to advice and guidance on ways to design out crime and make best use of technology such as CCTV.
- Regular visits from the Hastings Business Ambassador help keep members in touch with the latest news.
- A data-sharing agreement with Sussex Police that allows images of offenders to be matched with names and addresses.
- A weekly e-newsletter with details of the latest offenders added to the database.
Hastings has been a fully accredited member of NABCP – The National Association of Business Crime Partnerships.
We are now working towards accreditation under the new national standard run under the auspices of the National Business Crime Centre (NBCC)
We also work in partnership with Sussex Police and take guidance from the National Business Crime Centre.